R.A.F. Harrowbeer has been reduced to " Care and Maintenance ".
The Aerodrome is no longer operational.
From the Squadron O.R.B. 's
No.691 ( A.A.C. ) Squadron :-
1st August No.691 ( A.A.C. ) Squadron moved from R.A.F. Harrowbeer to R.A.F. Exeter in accordance with No.11 Group instructions ( Movement Order No.3 ). The move was very successfully carried out. One sortie was given while the move was in progress. The weather was perfect.
The Squadron O.R.B. for the month of August was signed by :- C. S. Voss.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There was a small contingent of R.A.F. and W.A.A.F. personnel still present at R.A.F. Harrowbeer for a short time while the Aerodrome was being closed down. All remaining stock and equipment had to be accounted for, documented, dismantled, packed and dispatched to R.A.F. Exeter.
From the 15th December 1947 until the 29th July 1948 No.19 Group Communications Flight were making routine landings at R.A.F. Harrowbeer although they were not actually operational from there.
When the W.A.A.F. Site became vacant in 1945 the site was used to accommodate German Prisoners of War from the Liberation of the Channel Islands. Some of these prisoners were repatriated and some settled in the local area.
Once the German Prisoners of War had vacated the old W.A.A.F. Site buildings they were used to rehouse displaced persons from Latvia, Estonia, the Ukraine, etc.
From the 19th February 1948 until the 16th August 1950 the Aerodrome was being used by No.82 Gliding School and the Air Training Corps cadets.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Knightstone RAF Harrowbeer Archives
Knightstone, Crapstone Road, Yelverton, Devon, PL20 6BT GB
Archivist - Michael Hayes 01822 853679
All images copyright of :- PHL Archives, R.A.F. Harrowbeer Archives, Graham Buchan Innes or HIG
© 2020 RAF Harrowbeer Archive - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder